Saturday, September 2, 2017

Holiday Deadline, Quilt Prep and the Quilt Police!

Happy Labor Day Weekend!  Hopefully there is some sewing time in it for you!   

DEADLINE for Christmas gift quilts:  October 31 - that is my drop dead date to accept any quilts.  If the remaining space I have available fills up before then, I will move the date up to an earlier time accordingly.  I have made exceptions in the past and have paid for it physically.  My time is a very valuable resource and the Holidays can be a stressful time trying to get everything done.  I want to enjoy my Holidays!

Spray Basting:  I have had this come up a few times this year - PLEASE do not spray baste your batting to the quilt top and backing!!  I will not be able to use the batting.  I will not quilt anything that may damage my long arm.  Sticky spray basting is not good for my machine and causes a lot of problems.

T Shirt quilts:  I reserve the right to refuse quilting them if they are not constructed properly.  I highly recommend taking a class. The T shirt needs to be stabilized with a good type of iron on stabilizer (like Pellon SF101).  Zig zagged seams and seams that are bunched with too much extra fabric are hard on my machine.  If not properly constructed (too much fullness, not stabilized with a iron on stabilizer of good quality, one side longer than the other, hourglass shape) they are a huge headache to quilt.

Memory Quilts:  I will no longer accept these to quilt.

Seams:  Please double check all your seams before bringing your quilt top and backing to me.  I recommend using a stitch length of 2.0 mm when piecing your quilt top.  If a 3.0 mm stitch length or larger is used, the stitching around the edges of the quilt easily come unraveled.  If there are some seams that are less than a 1/4" seam allowance, please find them by pressing your quilt top and repairing them before you bring the top to me to quilt.  Sometimes, to get that perfect point and or match, we have to fudge a little with the seam allowance.  If that is the case, a smaller stitch length helps keep it sewn together.  Another fix is using a woven, iron on strip of interfacing/stabilizer ironed over the fudged seam.  If I have to repair the seam because it has come undone and/or popped open I will charge for it.

QUILT POLICE:  They do not exist and I am not one!!  I do like to do my best on every quilt I quilt.  I have pieced and shown my own quilts and know first hand the time and care that goes into each and every quilt.  I do not rush or quilt past a time when I am prone to make mistakes.  I do make mistakes and have unpicked my work more times than I care to admit.  I want you to be happy with my work!  If not, please tell me.  I appreciate the feedback!


No comments:

Post a Comment